Tuesday, October 18, 2011

McWrap

On the metro today, we pass by a McDonald's ad touting McWrap Chèvre -- the McWrap Goat Cheese.  The girls don't know why I'm giggling, as I start repeating over and over in my head, "McWrap."  No matter how I try to enunciate, it's still funny as, well, crap.  Go ahead and try it.  Say both and you will realize the two cannot be distinguished.  Of course, the word "crap" isn't so bad in France, where it really sounds a lot like crêpe, which does, by coincidence, bring us back full circle, since that's pretty much what a crêpe is -- a French "burrito".


My college roommate Lisa is truly gifted when it comes to thinking of how a person's name can be mocked.  Ironically, she's the last person I can imagine actually bullying or teasing somebody, but you come to her with a name you think is beautiful, and she can immediately spot the junior high loophole.  I spent many pregnant months with her voice in my head trying to figure out how all potential baby names could be abused.  Well, the same must certainly be true for a sandwich.  Was McDonald's actually stupid enough to name a sandwich the McWrap in the US, too?   If they did, I bet it's not made with goat cheese.

The girls and I are heading to a new subway stop to go boot shopping this afternoon when we see the ad.  When we emerge from the station, what do we see right at the intersection but McDonald's.  As we walk by, I arrogantly think, "I will never set foot in a McDonald's in France."  I haven't been in one in the US in decades, after all.  In fact, our children have literally never tasted McDonald's (how very Bay Area food snob of us).  Just after the shoe store, when we are back by the subway stop, both girls suddenly and urgently have to go the bathroom.  Yes, of course you know what's coming.  Paris has a real paucity of public bathrooms, so we have no choice but to go into McDonald's and use the bathroom there.  I am not required to buy anything, thank goodness, but still here we are, hanging around in a Paris McDonald's taking a big McCrap.

1 comment:

Steve said...

Very proud of you for keeping them away from McDonald's. At least this McWrap thing seems somewhat healthier than the awful "food" served here in America. The McNuggets are some form of ueber processed chicken and I will never eat them after reading about how they are "made."