Saturday, October 1, 2011

Why Are We Here?

In this case, it's not a philosophical question, but a literal one.  Several people have asked, so here it is.  The short answer is that we are here in Paris because the company Anthony works for is headquartered on the eastern edge of the city, near Bois de Vincennes, and they wanted him to come over and work here, side by side with his team. 

The deeper truth is that ever since he started working there almost 8 years ago, we knew this could be a possibility and did everything we could to prepare ourselves for the eventuality!  By sheer coincidence, I had already started speaking in French to G as a baby and had decided that if I wasn't going to marry a foreigner who would help me create little bilingual children, then it was entirely up to me.  I chose French, since it is my best foreign language.  Those of you who know me from other incarnations where I was a Japanese or Chinese speaker may not have known that about me.  You see?  I am a woman of mystery, no matter what Anthony says.  Turns out that French is really just a whole lot closer to English and, for me anyway, easier.  So once Anthony's company called him over, we were ready and eager.  It seems like too good an opportunity to pass up, especially since the girls are young enough to make friends fast, absorb the language, and end up really bilingual and bicultural.  So here we are!  Now come visit!

No comments: