Sunday, October 23, 2011

City of Romance

Anthony goes for a run today along the Seine while I take the children to the American Library in Paris to sign up for our membership (170 for the year.  For a library.  Yikes!) and check out some books for our upcoming vacation.  In order to get to and from the metro station, we walk over the Pont de L'Archevêché, which is so covered in what are called "love locks" you can almost not see the fence anymore.  Each lock is put there by a couple in love, symbolizing that they are "locked" together forever.  For the past 5 years or so, people from around the world have demonstrated their undying passion with a padlock, throwing the key into the Seine (good for the relationship, bad for the planet), and sealing it with a kiss.  Generally, it is filmed and, I presume, youtubed.  Often, they write their names on it (Tommy + Theresa, 2008!!).


When we meet back at the house, I make a dinner of whatever perishibles are in the fridge that might need using up, since the girls and I are leaving on October break the next morning.  Finally, we end the day with our mediocre dinner, putting the girls to bed, and me packing the luggage for myself and the girls for our trip.  Anthony is on the computer, catching up on bills, clearing photos off the camera, and making sure the laptop has everything I need on it.  We end up staying up late and heading straight to sleep. 

Just as we are about to drift off, I bolt upright in bed, "Oh my God!!  Today was our 12th anniversary!"  I say it just loud enough to penetrate the earplugs Anthony has in (light sleeper who needs protection from the noise of the girls inside the house, not of the street).  He is already asleep, mumbles "Oh yeah..." and drifts right back.  Aah, the romance of Paris.

(Kazz Anthony 4ever! 1999 - ?)

No comments: