Thursday, November 15, 2012

What the Hay?

This morning, we notice that the café downstairs has put out a barrel with fall foliage and a bale of hay. I figure it's some new aspect of their Christmas decorations, which went up a few days ago.


Walking the girls to hip hop class tonight, I pass by another café with hay strewn around the ground, and the penny drops.
 

 
It must mean something. But what? For absolutely no reason I can muster, I immediately think that it must announce the arrival of the Beaujoulais Nouveau. It fascinates me that this is what I think of first, mostly because it turns out to be correct, but also because I am not a wine connoisseur. And if you had asked me yesterday for even a general season for the arrival of the Beaujoulais, I couldn't have told you. But sure enough, around town, they are proudly heralding the new bottles. Upon further research, it happens each year on the third Thursday of the November (so, I guess, always exactly one week before Thanksgiving).

 

Further along our walk, we come across a store that has also chosen to use hay for its window displays. Coincidence? Or is the new Beaujoulais spirit infecting retailers? Or is hay simply the new black? My knowledge of Beaujoulais, and of hay, is just not deep enough to say.


 

No comments: