Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Coke, Redux

A letter from my father. He could have put it in a comment on my posting on Coca Cola, but I wanted to be able to show you the photo:

"When Coke first came out as a drink it contained some cocaine. So naturally everyone felt better when they drank it. I don't know how long that lasted, but the US Govt outlawed cocaine and they came up with their secret formula.

In any case for 70 or more years, coke syrup was considered a good medicine for a really bad stomach ache.

I used this bottle that I bought 15 years ago up until a year ago and the darn stuff still worked.

I went to my local CVS and no one there ever heard of using Coke Syrup for a stomach ache.


Here is the actual bottle I used, and saved, since I figured that no one would ever believe me if I told them that coke was used as a medicine."

Well, Dad, the French would believe you!


 

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

When I was in college back in the early sixties, the nurse’s office gave out little HealthKits. I recall aspirin, bandaids and a small bottle of coke syrup!
Wish I still had that bottle yesterday! Came down with a 24 hour “ bug” as we called nausea and diarrhea back in my college days! I tried a McDonald’s coke, but it just came back up! Today a friend got me a bottle of coke and I am taking small sips...ahhhh!
I wonder if the southern states where coke cola originated might still sell coke syrup........