Thursday, March 21, 2013

Shocking. Or Not.

Last year, during the annual Carnaval (spelled the French way) parade at the girls' school, I was surprised that the children do not all dress up as Disney princesses or Star Wars characters. Of course, some still do, but not nearly the all-encompassing percentage we see in the US. This year, I am not at all surprised to see the requisite flamenco dancers, which seem to be a given in any French costume party.

  
 
It's basically Halloween without the Trick-or-Treating, but that doesn't mean it's sugar-free. In typical French fashion, when the snacks are put out at the party, the tables are laden with chocolatey carbohydrates and nothing else. There is no pretense at putting out fresh fruit and hoping the kids will take some. Either have a chocolate crêpe, a puff pastry with chocolate flakes, or a nutella covered waffle, or get outta here. This does not actually horrify me anymore, as long as the adults are allowed to nosh on a piece or two.
 
 
Last year, the kids marched through the 5th arrondissement to the ancient Roman Arènes de Lutèce. This year's route takes us up to to the top of the 5th and into the 4th arrondissement, walking by delicious bakeries, great views along the Seine, the love locks bridge, and several 800ish-year old churches, including Notre Dame.
 
 
Given that I see this church every single day, the most surprising thing is that I still find it surprising. Walking through the gardens by the side of the cathedral, Pippa's teacher tells me that she comes up from the train station and sees this view when she comes into work and that even she, a Parisian, is thrilled and energized every time. This makes me feel less crazy for still being awestruck.
 
 
The costume that most surprises me, and that both Pippa and I declare the prize-winner, is her best friend's. The girl's mother, my dear friend Beatrice, has spent time living and working in Africa, so it's authentic. Our favorite part is the back, where she's got her baby strapped. As you can see, my own daughter has found yet another occasion to wear her Indian sari which is also authentic.
 
 
 
Gigi enjoys the older brother's costume, since he's a really sweet kid dressed up as a "bad boy" rocker. Of course, she has no idea how appealing this will be to her in about six years.... And something I consider very French and quite appropriate, indeed, one of the class clowns dressed up as Charlie Chaplain, who is possibly more famous and beloved in France than in the States.

 
Then, on the more truly shocking side: There's this 5th grader smoking his cigarette. It is a fake one, of course, but very realistic, with a glowing tip. I start talking with some other parents as I take the picture, and it turns out that even the other French parents are shocked by this as completely inappropriate. Well, not all the parents: Obviously his own parents must have found it okey dokey.

 
 
Inappropriate, yes. But how hysterically French is that?!
 
There's shocking, and there's more shocking: The kids are packing pistols.

 
And they bring out the bigger guns, some of which just don't make any sense. This Crusader, who is one of Gigi's best friends, has a super soaker so powerful, it shoots water across about ten centuries of history.
 
 
Of course I remember seeing toy guns with costumes as a child myself, but given that I've been hearing that in the US kids are getting suspended just for making gun shapes with their fingers and saying "bang", it seems a little surprising to me. When I bring it up to my fellow parents, they point out that in France the kids are allowed their fake guns, but people aren't allowed real guns. They're shocked by our approach in the US, where the real guns are legal, used against children, and therefore make the little toy guns seem menacing. When they put it this way, I'm far more shocked by the US attitude towards guns, too. So bring on the toy guns!
  
P.S. I'm biased, but I think these photos are gorgeous. And I love that Dark Vador is Pippa's shadow:
 
  






No comments: