Friday, December 7, 2012

High on the Hog


The Ubisoft corporate Christmas party for children is better than a day at Disneyland. Of course, if you know what I think of Disneyland Paris, that's not actually saying much, so maybe I should specify that it's much better than a day at Disneyland Paris and just as good as a day at Disneyland Anaheim. Having gone two years in a row now, I can tell you it's not a fluke; these people know how to throw a killer kids' party. I wonder if any other companies out there have anything this amazing?! I like the kids' party so much, I'm not even too disappointed that, as a spouse, I'm not invited to the grown-up party (which I know after having inadvertantly crashed last year's).

This year's kids' party is held at the Musée des Arts Forains. Forain means itinerant or peddlar, and it's basically a museum dedicated to the old-timey carnival. It's open during holidays to the public and with reservations at other times. How come I have never heard of it? The advance reservations make it less practical, and it's located out-of-center, by Bercy, but I'm still shocked it's not on lists of great things to do with kids in Paris. It is one of the most magical places for children that I've seen!

 

While the Christmas lights make it feel especially other-worldly feeling, I think the really special part of this place is how it brings you back in time. There's a carousel and, even cooler, a people-powered bike carousel that I've decided to name the "bikousel". Other than making me a wee bit woozy, it is actually quite fun and very, very fast.
 
 
 

There are slower pleasures, like the swinging boats and the pettable owl being walked around.

 

Of course there are treats, like waffles, crêpes, cotton candy, and patisseries. And our girls never met an arts-and-crafts table they didn't like.


Our favorite activity might just be the old-fashioned carnival games, throwing beanbags to knock down figures, that sort of thing. The one pictured here strikes me as both very old-fashioned and très français: we roll a little ball up and depending on which color slot it drops into, our waiter advances zero, one, two, or three steps, balancing his glasses of wine on his tray. Gigi and I each win once. It's harder -- and more addictive -- than it looks. We just about close down the party playing round after round.

 
 
Santa brings them each one present early, when he drops by the Ubisoft party, and this year he does exceptionally well. Full roller blade kits, complete with helmets, pads, and a tote bag so cool the girls like it almost as much as the skates.  

 
  
Indeed, we feel like the girls -- and we -- are really living high on the hog. Right up until the moment when the guy comes by with the "Ne Pas Monter, Merci" ("Don't Climb on This, Thank You") sign.



 


 

No comments: