Monday, October 8, 2012

More Than I Bargained For

I ask the woman at the counter for a little of this chocolate, a little of that, some milk with caramelized almonds, some dark with raspberry. It costs 5.5 (about $7) per 100g. So when she is holding a few pieces, I ask her, "Is that 100g?" She makes a face and shakes her head in a gesture that means clearly and emphatically "Non!"


Buoyed by this promising prospect, I have her break off more and more of the bark till finally it seems like honestly, even if I'm not yet at 100g, we just don't need more chocolate than this in the house.


Then she weighs it, and it comes to about 35 -- or $50. That's $50 worth of chocolate bark just to have a little nosh. Rather stunned, I ask, "But didn't you say it wasn't 100g?" And she replies, quite logically, I suppose, "It wasn't 100g. It was already much, much more."

So, the metric system. I guess I'm not quite there yet. On the plus side, I know what I'm going to have for my snack today.

 

 
 

No comments: